Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Finally, Blogging

It's troubling to me that this is the first time I have managed to set up a blog. I've been planning on doing so for nearly two years but have been so caught up in picking the "right time" to start or the "best" blogging tool to use, that I've found myself unable to make a decision and start writing. My pre-web days were no better. As an undergraduate English major and lover of the written word, I felt obligated to journal, and yet never consistently did so--always thinking if only I had the "right" journal or, god help me, the perfect pen to write with, or the ideal place to write in, the words would come flowing out of me consistently and never stop. Now, years later, I have no journals, no significant records of personal composition and I find it disappointing, if not absurd. Like all those people who join a gym as a New Year's resolution as though this sudden change in behavior can only come about in the most ideal of circumstances, I let days, months, and years slip by without writing anything because I thought beginning something new depended upon the page turn of the calendar rather than through me simply making a decision to do so.

Even now, I wonder, should I read through this and edit it more before I post it? Did I pick the right title for my blog? Just shut up and post the damn thing. So here I am, finally blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment