Thursday, February 12, 2009

Creature Comforts


It just occurred to me recently that I never blog about the one subject that I am perhaps most passionate about--animals, particularly dogs. And I'm sure that this is largely because writing responsibly and intelligently about issues that stir our emotions is incredibly difficult to do. (Another reason for continued cultivation and celebration of those who justifiably assume the title of "writer".)

But I've also noticed that the more opportunities I have to read articles and commentaries by fellow animal aficionados, the more comforted I feel, despite living in a world in which animal cruelty is so much the norm. Most days I feel helpless and tormented by stories of abandoned or neglected pets and tales of blatant brutality. Earlier this week I found myself reading a very detailed anecdote buried in a news story that involved a man beating a dog over the phone as a way to threaten his girlfriend and it literally brought me to my knees it was so upsetting.

I've heard that there are two types of real unconditional love: a mother for her child, and a dog for its owner. Unlike people, dogs are not spiteful. They are not manipulative, selfish, or cruel. They implicitly trust people (often even after years of it being beaten out of them) and there is always a very specific, clear reason for all of their actions (i.e. If your dog is feeling neglected, he might very well misbehave simply because he is trying to get your attention).

And so for me, working towards the protection of our fuzzy friends and the education of humans struggling to respect and understand them seems a pretty important task. So until I find my own active niche in this area, I'll settle for writing as much as I can about it, rather than wallowing in my usual paralysis.

No comments:

Post a Comment